Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Psalm 23: My Soul

Focus Verse: Psalm 23:3

Scripture translated by Optimal Equivalence: Psalm 23 New International Version
Optimal equivalence translations try to reflect the formal structures of the original text, making the translation as close to the original as possible, a balance between formal (word for word) and dynamic (thought for thought) 

… he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
(NIV)

Scripture Paraphrase: Psalm 23 The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language by Eugene H. Peterson. Paraphrase = the author's interpretation using imagination and literary skill, in plain or modern language  

1-3    GOD, my shepherd!
        I don’t need a thing.
    You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
        you find me quiet pools to drink from.
    True to your word,
        you let me catch my breath
        and send me in the right direction.
(EHP/The Message)

4    Even when the way goes through Death Valley,
    I’m not afraid when you walk at my side.
    Your trusty shepherd’s crook
        makes me feel secure.

5    You serve me a six-course dinner
        right in front of my enemies.
    You revive my drooping head;
        my cup brims with blessing.

6    Your beauty and love chase after me
        every day of my life.
    I’m back home in the house of GOD
        for the rest of my life.

Reflection:  What refreshes your soul?  Where do you feel refreshment in your body?  How do you know when you are going in the right direction?  

If you were to express this verse in your own words to someone, what would you say?
Your Paraphrase of Verse 3:   

I'd love to hear from you, share your paraphrase with me via the comments, use the contact form or email me.      

If music is a spiritual pathway for you, listen to the beautiful African American Spiritual Lead Me, Guide Me recorded by the Morgan State University Choir.

Breath Prayer for the Day:
Breathing in … Soul Refreshing God
Breathing out … Help me Catch my Breath

No comments:

Post a Comment