Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Psalm 23: My Rest

Focus Verse: Psalm 23:2

Scripture translated by Formal Equivalence: Psalm 23 New King James Version     
Formal equivalent translations try to reflect the formal structures of the original text, making the translation as close to the original as possible (word for word)

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
(NKJV)

Scripture Paraphrase: Psalm 23 The Voice Bible
A paraphrase rewords the Bible into plain or modern language. It is the author's interpretation of God's Word, using imagination and literary skill, rather than an actual translation of the biblical text.


1    The Eternal is my shepherd, He cares for me always.

2    He provides me rest in rich, green fields
    beside streams of refreshing water.
    He soothes my fears;
(VOICE)

3    He makes me whole again,
    steering me off worn, hard paths
    to roads where truth and righteousness echo His name.

4    Even in the unending shadows of death’s darkness,
    I am not overcome by fear.
Because You are with me in those dark moments,
    near with Your protection and guidance,
    I am comforted.

5    You spread out a table before me,
    provisions in the midst of attack from my enemies;
You care for all my needs, anointing my head with soothing, fragrant oil,
    filling my cup again and again with Your grace.

6    Certainly Your faithful protection and loving provision will pursue me
    where I go, always, everywhere.
I will always be with the Eternal,
    in Your house forever.

Reflection: How is God your Rest?  How does God soothe your fears?  How does nature refresh you?

If you were to express this verse in your own words to someone, what would you say?
Your Paraphrase of Verse 2:   

I'd love to hear from you, share your paraphrase with me via the comments, use the contact form or email me.      

If music is a spiritual pathway for you, listen to Refresh Me by Leeland

Breath Prayer for the Day:
Breathing in … Restful God
Breathing out … Refresh Me

No comments:

Post a Comment