Thursday, March 25, 2021

Psalm 23: My Darkest Valley

Focus Verse: Psalm 23:4

Scripture translated by Formal Equivalence:  Psalm 23 New Revised Standard Version
Formal equivalence = word for word

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil;
for you are with me; your rod and your staff—they comfort me.
(NRSV)

Scripture Paraphrase: Psalm 23 Praying the Psalms: An Invitation to Wholeness, by Nan C. Merrill
Paraphrase = the author's interpretation using imagination and literary skill, in plain or modern language  

1    my Beloved, you are my shepherd, I shall not want;
you bring me to green pastures for rest 

2    and lead me beside still waters renewing my spirit; you restore my soul. 

3    You lead me in the path of goodness for follow Love’s way.  

4    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow
and of death, I am not afraid; for you are ever with me;
your rod and your staff they guide me,
they give me strength and comfort. 
(NCM)

5    You prepare a table before me in the presence of all my fears;
you bless me with oil, my cup overflows.  

6    Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days  of my life;
and I shall dwell in the heart of the Beloved forever.

Reflection:  What have been the dark valleys of your life?  Did you know God was with you at the time or were you unsure?  How do you experience God’s presence in times of darkness, or unknowing?  How does God strength you for your journey?

If you were to express this verse in your own words to someone, what would you say?
Your Paraphrase of Verse 4:   

I'd love to hear from you, share your paraphrase with me via the comments, use the contact form or email me. 

If music is a spiritual pathway for you, listen to You Are My Strength by Hillsong Worship

Breath Prayer for the Day:
Breathing in … God, my Strength and my Comfort
Breathing out … You calm all my fears

No comments:

Post a Comment