Monday, March 22, 2021

Psalm 23: My Shepherd

This week is our biggest challenge yet!  We are Writing the Psalms!  Let's immerse ourselves deeply into Psalm 23 every day.  Psalm 23 is the most familiar psalm of all times according to the google search engine report of 2014.  Each day, we’ll read the psalm twice, using different translated AND paraphrased versions. 

A translation relates to us what the text says, as well as we can tell from the phrases of original languages.  A paraphrase attempts to explain what the text means, and organically is a type of commentary.  If you are up for the challenge, I’ll invite you to paraphrase one of the 6 verses every day, and on Saturday you’ll have your own paraphrased version of Psalm 23.  Paraphrasing the psalms is a personal spiritual discipline which will invite each one of us to truly consider what we think and feel about God, ourselves and our relationship, as well as speaking to God from a stance similar to the psalmist. 

Focus Verse: Psalm 23:1

Scripture translated by Dynamic Equivalence: Psalm 23 New Living Translation    
Dynamic equivalence is a method of Bible translation that seeks to reproduce the original text of Scripture using modern language and expression to communicate the message of the Bible (thought for thought)              

The lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. (NLT)

Scripture Paraphrase: Psalm 23 The Living Bible
A paraphrase rewords the Bible into plain or modern language. It is the author's interpretation of God's Word, using imagination and literary skill, rather than an actual translation of the biblical text.

1 Because the Lord is my Shepherd, I have everything I need!  (TLB)

2-3 He lets me rest in the meadow grass and leads me beside the quiet streams.
He gives me new strength. He helps me do what honors him the most.

4 Even when walking through the dark valley of death I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me, guarding, guiding all the way.

5 You provide delicious food for me in the presence of my enemies.
You have welcomed me as your guest; blessings overflow!

6 Your goodness and unfailing kindness shall be with me all of my life,
and afterwards I will live with you forever in your home.

Reflection: How do you experience God as your shepherd?  What images come to your mind?  How is God all you need?  

If you were to express this verse in your own words to someone, what would you say?
Your Paraphrase of Verse 1:   

I'd love to hear from you, share your paraphrase with me via the comments, use the contact form or email me.      

If music is a spiritual pathway for you, listen to The Lord is my Shepherd performed by The Smith Ensemble.

Breath Prayer for the Day:
Breathing in … God, my Shepherd
Breathing out … You satisfy my Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment