Friday, March 26, 2021

Psalm 23: My Cup

Focus Verse: Psalm 23:5

Scripture translated by Optimal Equivalence:    Psalm 23 Tree of Life Version
Optimal equivalence = a balance between formal (word for word) and dynamic equivalence (thought for thought)           

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You have anointed my head with oil, my cup overflows.
(TLV)

Scripture Paraphrase: Psalm 23 Sometimes an Unknown Path: 40 Psalm Prayers in Contemplative Voice, Jerry Webber.  Paraphrase = the author's interpretation using imagination and literary skill, in plain or modern language  

1    Lord, you are a shepherd to me, protecting, guiding, so that I need attach myself to no-thing and no-one else. 

2    I rest safe in the abundance of your sure love, wombed in the safety of your canopy, renewed as living waters wash over me.  

3    Even when the Way seems treacherous to me, on every narrow precipice, you set my feet on solid ground, true to your Rock-solid nature. 

4    And when I walk through the darkness of death, I will not fear the shadow.  I trust that even then – especially then – you are closer to me than my next breath, comforting, sustaining, shaping me every step of the Way.  

5    You give me everything I need to feast on life, bread and wine that my foes know nothing about; your oil poured over me a visible sign of your choosing, your cup poured out before me a visible sign of your passion offered to me. (JW) 

6    Your generosity and sure love hound me throughout life.  And your heart will be my home from now and for all time.

Reflection: How do you “feast” on life?  What are the signs in your life that God has chosen you?  How do you feel chosen by God?  How do you experience God’s overflowing love?  

If you were to express this verse in your own words to someone, what would you say?
Your Paraphrase of Verse 5:   

I'd love to hear from you, share your paraphrase with me via the comments, use the contact form or email me.  

If music is a spiritual pathway for you, listen to Anoint Me, Lord by Lynne Wolnarek and Esther Hunter

Breath Prayer for the Day:
Breathing in … Spirit of Anointing
Breathing out … Anoint me with your Love

No comments:

Post a Comment