Friday, April 3, 2020

Golgotha

Scripture: John 19:16b-22
Focus Verse: John 19:17   
Carrying the cross by himself, Jesus went out to what is called The Place of the Skull, which in Hebrew is called Golgotha.

Commentary:  It is a 5-minute walk between the traditional site of Jesus’ sentencing and Golgotha, where he was crucified.  For a man beaten nearly to death and forced to carry the seventy-five-pound horizontal beam of the cross, it may have taken as long as a half hour.  However, the synoptic gospel writers tell us a man named Simon was enlisted to carry the cross when Jesus was no longer able

Reflection:  Jesus said, “Deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow me.”  What do you think he meant?    What have you given up to follow Jesus?  What should you?

ACTS Prayer
Adoration:  Man of Golgotha, I am in awe of your strength!
Confession: Forgive me when I refuse to deny my desires and take up my cross, for even though I may think I am following you, I fear I am not.
Thanksgiving:  Thanks for waiting along the path for me.
Supplication:  I pray for your followers as they seek to know how to follow you with grace and mercy.
ACTS of Faith:  Deny yourself something you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment