Thursday, March 5, 2020

Power

Scripture: Mark 10:35-45   
Focus Verse: Mark 10:45a
For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve …

Commentary:  Perhaps it takes a long time to live into the leadership style of Jesus.  When we drop in on James and John they are vying for power in the kingdom. Suddenly, anger flares up in the community as everyone looks after their own interests.  Jesus takes this teachable moment to state his purpose:  to serve and to give his life for others.  

Reflection: How do you define power? What do you believe about the relationship between power, leadership and servanthood in the way Jesus embodies his purpose?  

ACTS Prayer
Adoration: O God, True Power of Life, I exalt YOU!
Confession:  Sometimes I hurt others in my rush to control them. When I feel powerless, I panic and lash out.
Thanksgiving: Thank you for showing me, through Jesus, that you are preparing my heart to be a servant leader.
Supplication: I pray abused people find freedom.

ACTS of Faith:  Read or watch the news and pray for a situation in which someone in power took advantage of a person they had authority over.

No comments:

Post a Comment