Friday, September 4, 2015

Jesus the Healer: Radical Inclusion Expands the Kingdom of God



The power of the kingdom, which is the power of God, operated in [Jesus] and through him upon the lives others.  ~Albert E. Day

Welcome dear friend, to a series on the healing stories of Jesus. The root of the word healing in New Testament Greek, sozo, is the same as that of salvation and wholeness.  (UM Book of Worship

I invite you to enter into a time of Lectio Divina, contemplative prayer with scripture, as we explore one of the healing stories of Jesus.  Gather your journal if you have one, your bible and something to write with or simply use your computer, I've provided everything you need.

This may be my favorite Jesus story ever.  Jesus was on vacation.  Jesus needed his vacation.  From reading the gospels my sense of Jesus is that, much like the whirlwind life we live invites us to be today, he was always “on.”  He was like a rock star.  No matter where he went groupies followed, waiting and watching to see what he was going to do next.  I’m not a rock star and I have no groupies but I feel like I am, too, am always “on,” waiting and watching to see what God is going to do next.  This sometimes makes me impatient and short with people until I slow down and listen.  I can relate to how Jesus is feeling in this passage and how he reacts to this desperate mom's request. 

Jesus seems so human in this exchange with the Syrophoenician woman.  We are told that Jesus was fully human AND fully divine, all at the same time but we don’t often see the human part. Yet, here his humanity invites me into the passage and I want to know more.  As the passage unfolds I am further encouraged to examine my own humanity and the way I respond to people who aren't "like" me.  I wonder, "am I an inclusive person or an exclusive person?" I think that I don’t intentionally exclude people but studies show that, as human beings, we are creatures who gravitate toward people who are like us. So I think that means if we want to be as radically inclusive as Jesus was in this passage, we have to be radically teachable.  I love that in this passage, Jesus is teachable.  This quality makes me admire Jesus deeply and it makes me want to be like him.  As a result of this quality of teachability, Jesus listens and responds to the syrophoenician mom and the kingdom of God is opened up and expanded.  In the kingdom of God, we are all equal and loved by God.  Ideally, everyone belongs!  I want everyone to belong!

For more background information and analysis on the nuances of this passage, take this link to my Page:  The Power of the Gospel Explodes in Radical Inclusion 

Take a moment to begin with a Breath Prayer

Breathing in ... Radically Inclusive Jesus
Breathing out ... Teach me and open my eyes to your kingdom 
Repeat your breath prayer until you feel relaxed and centered

Pray for illumination of the text, use this one or pray what emerges from within you:   Healing Jesus, shine your light upon this passage as I read and let me see new ways of living a radically inclusive life.  Amen.

1.  Lectio/Read:   Mark 7:24-30 (NET)
As you read, perhaps there is a word or phrase that will speak to your heart.  Let that word or phrase draw you into the story.  How does the energy of the story gather around your word or phrase?  Let that energy lead you into your next reading.  

After Jesus left there, he went to the region of Tyre. When he went into a house, he did not want anyone to know, but he was not able to escape notice. Instead, a woman whose young daughter had an unclean spirit immediately heard about him and came and fell at his feet. The woman was a Greek, of Syrophoenician origin. She asked him to cast the demon out of her daughter. He said to her, “Let the children be satisfied first, for it is not right to take the children’s bread and to throw it to the dogs.” She answered, “Yes, Lord, but even the dogs under the table eat the children’s crumbs.”  Then he said to her, “Because you said this, you may go. The demon has left your daughter.” She went home and found the child lying on the bed, and the demon gone.


Les Très Riches Heures du duc de Berry, Folio 164r, Public domain via Wikimedia Commons
2. Meditatio/Meditation 

Read the text a second time.  You may find that the same word or phrase has energy for you, but you may also find that the energy has shifted for you.  As you think about your life and relationships, how does your word or phrase illuminate where you are right now.  Take your journal or a page on your computer and write … Don't think about what you are writing as you let God lead you deeper into the text illuminated by your life.

3. Oratio/Pray  
Read the text a third time.  Then read your own writing if you wrote anything.  Are there any connections you can make between what you read and the writing that flowed from your reading?  How do you respond to how God is calling you?   What do you want to say to God about what you are hearing?  Take a moment to write again in your journal or on your computer as a prayer in response to what you have heard.  

4. Contemplatio/Contemplation  
Take a moment to pause.  Allow your breath prayer to emerge again.  You can use the same one from the beginning or perhaps a new one will emerge for you.  As you continue to pray, let the words fade away into silence. Spend time simply "be"ing with God. 

Breathing in ... Loving Jesus
Breathing out ... fill me with love for all people
Repeat your breath prayer until it fades into silence ... 

Allow your experience of praying with this healing story of Jesus to come to a close when you are ready to move on.  Let the Spirit lead you and guide you into the presence of God as you engage your life as a loving and healing presence to others. 

Close with a prayer to send yourself into the world, use this one or pray what emerges from within you:  Loving Jesus, I am inspired by the way you encountered this woman.  I want to be as teachable as you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment