Thursday, September 10, 2015

Jesus the Healer: Ask, Just Ask!



Not everyone will experience the specific healing he or she is seeking, but many will.  However, each one will be blessed and helped in some way.  ~Albert E. Day

Welcome dear friend, to a series on the healing stories of Jesus. The root of the word healing in New Testament Greek, sozo, is the same as that of salvation and wholeness.  (UM Book of Worship)   Over the summer, looking at the healing stories of Jesus has been a life-giving experience for me!  We close out our series with one of the most mysterious and misunderstood sayings that Jesus spoke as we ponder the future of healing ministries in the church.   

I invite you to enter into a time of Lectio Divina, contemplative prayer with scripture, as we explore one of the healing stories of Jesus.  Gather your journal if you have one, your bible and something to write with or simply use your computer, I've provided everything you need.

At the last supper, Jesus said this to his disciples:  "If you will ask me anything in my name, I will do it."   That is a pretty clear statement.  The only problem is that I've heard people ask plenty of things in the name of Jesus and Jesus didn't do what they asked.  As a matter of fact, I was once standing in a hospice facility with the family of someone who was dying when a pastor (on speakerphone) told a dying young woman to get up and walk out of the hospital because God was going to provide a miracle in the name of Jesus. "Get up and walk!  Get up and walk!"  Wow, that was terribly uncomfortable ... and disappointing ... and abusive.  I confess I was a member of that family.  I spent a couple of hours in the chapel, crying.  I felt like my soul had been battered and bruised after so many days of waiting vigil, every day listening to the doctor say, "this may be the day."  We needed comfort and all we got was a few platitudes, the sinner's prayer, and a failed healing directive on the phone that night.    

Needless to say, this passage bothers me on many levels.  If I believe in Jesus, and take seriously the authority and presence of Christ, then why do I not get what I want and need when I pray?  Why do homeless people not have homes, why do hungry people not get fed, why do hard-working people not have jobs, why is there child abuse, war and refugees?  I could go on for hours listing all of the wonderful things that could happen if this passage means what it sounds like it means.  Maybe, my faith is not deep enough.  Maybe, none of us have faith enough to ask anything in the name of Jesus. Maybe Jesus had a twinkle in his eye, just kidding his friends, the disciples, and they understood that.  Maybe the translators got this one wrong!   

This is when taking a passage and seeking the Spirit's guidance via lectio divina, is most helpful to me.  It is obvious from real life and passionately prayerful people that we cannot read this passage as a "get out of life and death free" pass.  

Take a moment to begin with a Breath Prayer.
Breathing in ... Jesus, healer and miracle worker
Breathing out ... show me the miracles of everyday living
Repeat your breath prayer until you feel relaxed and centered

Pray for illumination of the text, use this one or pray what emerges from within you:   Jesus, you are a remarkable healer and a miracle worker.  You call upon me, as your follower, to perform even greater miracles than you did.  How can that be?  Show me, Jesus, the miracles of my own ordinary life.  In your name, Amen.

1.  Lectio/Read:  John 14:12-14
As you read, perhaps there is a word or phrase that will shimmer off of the page and into your heart.   Perhaps an image will come to you as you sit with these mysterious words.  Let that word, phrase or image draw you into the story.  How does the energy of the story gather around your word, phrase or image?  Let that energy lead you into your next reading. 

 
Mosaic in Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo. Ravenna. Last Supper. Public Domain via WikiMedia Commons



I tell you the solemn truth, the person who believes in me will perform the miraculous deeds that I am doing, and will perform greater deeds than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

2. Meditatio/Meditation 
Read the text a second time.  You may find that the same word, phrase or image has energy for you, but you may also find that the energy has shifted.  As you think about your life and relationships, how does your word, phrase or image illuminate where you are right now.  How does this passage challenge you?  Take your journal or a page on your computer and write … Don't think about what you are writing as you let God lead you deeper into the text illuminated by your life.

3. Oratio/Pray  
Read the text a third time.  Then read your own writing if you wrote anything.  Are there any connections you can make between what you read and the writing that flowed from your reading?  How do you respond to what God is saying to you through the text?   What do you want to say to God about what you are hearing?  Take a moment to write again in your journal or on your computer as a prayer in response to what you have heard.  

4. Contemplatio/Contemplation  
Take a moment to pause.  Allow your breath prayer to emerge again.  You can use the same one from the beginning or perhaps a new one will emerge for you.  As you continue to pray, let the words fade away into silence. Spend time simply "be"ing with God. 

Breathing in ... Jesus, healer and miracle-worker
Breathing out ... the glory of God shines upon the world through you
Repeat your breath prayer until it fades into silence ...  

Allow your experience of praying with this healing story of Jesus to come to a close when you are ready to move on.  Let the Spirit lead you and guide you into the presence of God as you engage your life as a loving and healing presence to others. 

Close with a prayer to send yourself into the world, use this one or pray what emerges from within you:  Healing Jesus, the miracles you performed amaze me but the fact that you call me to join you in this ministry is even more astounding.  Thank you for showing me the path and the glory of God in the details of life.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment