Thursday, February 23, 2012

Covenant of Noah: The Rainbow Promise

Hello!   When was the last time you saw a rainbow on a fresh, rainy afternoon?  How would you describe your reaction to its beauty as a reflection of God’s creation?

In this passage, we read about the first covenant God makes with all living beings, humanity and all of creation through his conversation with Noah after the flood waters recede.  A biblical covenant is a solemn religious agreement between 2 parties who are God and human beings. (HC)  A biblical covenant is usually seen as conditional … "if you will (be my people) ... then I will (be your God) ..."   

However ... in this passage the Hebrew word beriyth {ber-eeth'} which is translated covenant is one-sided and so is often referred to in commentary as covenant "promise" because God makes it freely and unconditionally.   A covenant can also be an "alliance of friendship" or a "divine ordinance with signs or pledges."  (BW)  In this promise of God, accompanied by the sign of the rainbow, we can see and feel God's care for the earth and every living creature ...

I invite you to spend a few moments to prepare your heart to welcome the Spirit of God to be with you and give you wisdom as you read and study and pray and listen to God’s Word.   Breathe deeply and envision God’s Spirit filling you with love all the way to your toes!  Settle into a place of openness within yourself with a simple breath prayer.  Use this one or create your own (six to eight syllables) 
 
          Breathe in ... Creator God (pause)

               Breath out ... You are mine (pause)

          Breathe in ... Creator God (pause)

               Breath out ... I am yours (pause)           


and when you are ready to move deeper into the text ... Pray:

Creator God, I open my heart and my mind to you.  Flood my soul with words of promise and healing as I read your Holy Word.  Fill me with a sense of your loving care for all of creation and for all of humanity through the ages.   Amen.   


Read Genesis 9:8-17 slowly, allowing this promise of God to unfold in your mind.

Genesis 9:8-17 (CEB) God said to Noah and to his sons with him, “I am now setting up my covenant with you, with your descendants, and with every living being with you—with the birds, with the large animals, and with all the animals of the earth, leaving the ark with you.  I will set up my covenant with you so that never again will all life be cut off by flood waters. There will never again be a flood to destroy the earth.”    God said, “This is the symbol of the covenant that I am drawing up between me and you and every living thing with you, on behalf of every future generation.  I have placed my bow in the clouds; it will be the symbol of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow appears in the clouds, I will remember the covenant between me and you and every living being among all the creatures. Flood waters will never again destroy all creatures.  The bow will be in the clouds, and upon seeing it I will remember the enduring covenant between God and every living being of all the earth’s creatures.”  God said to Noah, “This is the symbol of the covenant that I have set up between me and all creatures on earth.” 


Read the passage again slowly and Reflect on just a word or phrase that draws your attention.   Sit with your word or phrase and listen to the promise of God ... Listen!  Turn your word or phrase over and over in your mind and let God speak into your heart.  How do your emotions help interpret your word or phrase for your life?   Rest in the promise of God you find in the text for your life and own it!

Read
the passage again slowly and Respond to God from the depths of the emotions that have been stirred in your soul.   As you once again turn your attention to your word or phrase, know that it may be a different word on this reading and allow yourself to consider how God is speaking to you through the text.  Consider the promise God is making to you and the promise you are being called to make to God …

Read
the passage again and Rest.  Allow the God of all Creation to fill you with peace for your future.  Let all the words fade away ... until you are ready to take up your journal and write about your meditation.  When you are ready to move out of your meditation …  Pray:


God of Noah, thank you for your promises and your care for me and for your creation.  Let me sit in the rain of your love and rest in the shade of your rainbow as my faith grows in you and your promises.  Amen.

Cindy’s Reflection … remember the covenant, remember the covenant … remember, remember, remember … you are mine and I am yours … remembering I was created by God and loved by God … remembering that God belongs to me as I belong to God … and not just me, but all of humanity and all of creation … everything belongs to you, O God!  Your love and care endures forever and ever!


And I rest in your promise ...  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment