Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Lectio & Labyrinth//Philemon: An Appeal Based On Love

This week we weave together the ancient spiritual practices of Lectio Divina with walking the Labyrinth as we pray with Philemon, the shortest of Paul's letters which was written while he was in prison.  Do you have easy access to a Labyrinth that you could walk?   If not, you can take this Link to a finger Labyrinth that you can download and print: PDF File/Labyrinth.  If you prefer, I'll give you a link below to an online labyrinth within your experience of Lectio.

Philemon is a very personal letter and yet it isn't because while it is written to one man it is also obviously meant to be read aloud to the gathered "church" that meets in his house.  Paul definitely knows how to get what he wants and he wants the life of Onesimus, a slave who has been attending to Paul and has become very important to him.  Paul says that Onesimus is like a son to him.
Apostle Paul. Russian Orthodox icon from the beginning of the 19th century. Fragment from the church iconostasis (deesis row). Northern Russia or the Baltic region. Wood, primer (paint) and tempera.  In Public Domain.

I think this letter is more a very interesting commentary on the strong familial-type bonds between persons in the early Christian community, brothers and sisters in the faith, rather than a commentary on slavery. In fact, "slavery was universal in all ancient nations and the very economic basis of the old civilization. Slaves were employed not only in all the forms of manual and industrial labour, but also in many functions which required artistic skill, intelligence, and culture; especially the case in both the Greek and the Roman society. Their number was much greater than that of the free citizens."  Paul was writing in the context of his culture, yet in this letter he "vigorously proclaimed the complete spiritual equality of slave and freeman, the universal, fatherly love of God, and the Christian brotherhood of men."  (Commentary on Philemon, Catholic Encyclopedia

Read these beginning verses of Philemon (1-9) to get a sense of how Paul thinks of this church and fellow Christians with love and affection, as "family."

This letter is from Paul, a prisoner for preaching the Good News about Christ Jesus, and from our brother Timothy.  I am writing to Philemon, our beloved co-worker, and to our sister Apphia, and to our fellow soldier Archippus, and to the church that meets in your house.  May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace.  I always thank my God when I pray for you, Philemon, because I keep hearing about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all of God’s people. And I am praying that you will put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ. Your love has given me much joy and comfort, my brother, for your kindness has often refreshed the hearts of God’s people.  That is why I am boldly asking a favor of you. I could demand it in the name of Christ because it is the right thing for you to do. But because of our love, I prefer simply to ask you. Consider this as a request from me—Paul, an old man and now a so a prisoner for the sake of Christ Jesus.



With a sense of the boldness that Paul has in addressing a community that he loves and that loves him as family, I invite you to spend a few moments breathing in the Presence of God. Families are crazy groups of people so we often need much prayer to encounter those special people in our lives.  Settle into a place of openness within yourself with a simple breath prayer.  Use this one or create your own (six to eight syllables is best for breathing)

          Breathe in ... Holy God (pause)

               Breath out ... Bless my Church (pause)

and when you are ready to move deeper into the text ... Pray:  Holy God, in our churches you fill us with love and make us a family.  Help my church community to become a family as we seek to live and work alongside each other.  Help us work for justice for all people.  Amen.  

Read Philemon verses 10-21 (NLT) and immerse yourself in the loving relationships that Paul encourages as he writes.  Remember that he sits in prison as he writes.  Engage in Lectio Divina, Praying with Scripture.  Allow yourself to be drawn deeply into God’s Presence as you read and pray and listen.

I appeal to you to show kindness to my child, Onesimus. I became his father in the faith while here in prison. Onesimus hasn’t been of much use to you in the past, but now he is very useful to both of us. I am sending him back to you, and with him comes my own heart.  I wanted to keep him here with me while I am in these chains for preaching the Good News, and he would have helped me on your behalf.  But I didn’t want to do anything without your consent. I wanted you to help because you were willing, not because you were forced. It seems you lost Onesimus for a little while so that you could have him back forever. He is no longer like a slave to you. He is more than a slave, for he is a beloved brother, especially to me. Now he will mean much more to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.  So if you consider me your partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. If he has wronged you in any way or owes you anything, charge it to me. I, Paul, write this with my own hand: I will repay it. And I won’t mention that you owe me your very soul!  Yes, my brother, please do me this favor for the Lord’s sake. Give me this encouragement in Christ.  I am confident as I write this letter that you will do what I ask and even more!

Read this passage again slowly and Reflect on just a word or phrase.  Walk with your word or phrase and listen to the whispers of God through the words of Paul ... Listen!    Take a walk on the Labyrinth or down the street.  Use your downloaded finger labyrinth or meditate with an online labyrinth at Labyrinthonline.com.  Turn  your word or phrase or image over and over in your mind.  Let God speak into your heart as you walk.  Take this time to "Release" anything that emerges and that you need to let go of in order to move on ...

As you pause at the center to "Receive" God's word for you, consider these questions or others that may arise in your time of pause:  Where is God speaking into my life through my word or phrase?  Where is my life touched by my word or phrase? 

Before you begin your journey anew from the center, Read the passage again slowly and Respond to God.   Once again turn your attention to your word or phrase.  Know that it is ok if you are being drawn in a different direction on this reading!

As you walk or move out of the center along the same labyrinth path you took in, contemplate your word or phrase and gain strength for your continuing journey of life.  How am I being called into deeper love relationships with others in my community or in the world?   In word … prayer … action … or some other way? 
As you reach the end of the Labyrinth pathway, it is time to Rest in the silence of God's Presence.  Allow God the Father to draw you deeper into the shining light of God’s Holy Presence and into the relationship of love that God has with you.  Let all the words fade away and stay in this holy place as long as you can.  Simply BE with God.

When you are ready to move on from your time of Lectio & Labrinth, take this link to paxworks.com and view the video of the Crystal Lake Park Labyrinth in Urbana, Illinois taken by John Ridder.  As you listen to the music, consider what "word" you will take with you from your time of meditation and walking, ending with this prayer:  O God help me welcome your love into my heart.  Help me take your beauty, your mercy and your justice into the world.    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment