Saturday, November 9, 2013

Psalm 145: Greatly to be Praised!

For background info and my commentary on Psalm 145 go to Great is the Lord.

This week we practice Praying with Psalms through paraphrase ...
Step 1) Simply read the biblical text and appreciate the beauty you find within Psalm 145.

Psalm 145:1-5, 17-21
Priests for Equality. The Inclusive Bible

I will extol you, my God, my Ruler, 
and I will bless your Name forever and ever! 
Every day will I bless you, 
and I will praise your Name forever and ever! 
Great you are, YHWH, and greatly to be praised; 
your greatness is unfathomable. 
Generation after generation praises your works 
and proclaims your mighty deeds;
 they’ll speak of the splendor of your glorious majesty, 
and I will meditate on your wondrous acts. 

YHWH, you are just in all your ways 
and loving toward all that you have created.
You are near to all who call upon you, 

all who call upon you in truth.  
You fulfill the desires of those who revere you; 
you hear their cry and save them. 
You watch over all who love you, YHWH, 
but you’ll destroy all who are corrupt. 
My mouth will speak your praise, YHWH, 
and may all creation bless your holy Name forever and ever!

Step 2)  Explore the images you find in the psalm and seek new ways of proclaiming the message in words and phrases that translate to the situation you find in your life today.  Be creative and think not in words but in ideas and let your psalm express your own deepest emotions.

Step 3)  Take up a journal OR pull up a blank document on the computer ... begin writing in a stream of consciousness with new images, words, and phrases that emerge from pondering on the text.  Let the images grow and become.  Let new words and phrases come alive to translate the psalm anew in your own prayer language ... sing a new song in your soul!

Step 4)  Paraphrase the Psalm with your own images in your own words and phrases ...

Here is a paraphrase from Nan C. Merrill's book, Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness to get a sense of how paraphrase works:
My soul yearns for You, Eternal Flame of Love, 
longing to reconnect to the great Mystery!
Every day I will bless You as I follow the Voice of Truth.
Great are You, who call us to childlike wonder, 
to the healing balm of forgiveness.
Each generation must learn anew the efficacy of silence, 
the wisdom of turning inward ...
O Heart of my heart, envelop me!  
I know you are near to all who call upon You.
Bring to my recollection all that I have denied, 
that I might be accepting and free
To help rebuild the soul of the world 
with radical trust, love and wonder!
When I speak, let it be of blessing and gratitude; 
let your glory within me shine out to the world!

Lectio Divina ...
Step 1:  Choose one of these versions or your own paraphrase of Psalm 145:1-5, 7-21 to read slowly and reverently ...What image, word, or phrase calls for your attention in your reading?  Spend a few moments pondering the God you find within your reading ...

Step 2:  Read your selection again and reflect ...
How does this paraphrase illuminate your life right now?  How is God inviting you to change or grow?

Step 3:  Read your selection again and respond ...
What do you say to God about your life and how you are being invited?   Write a one-sentence prayer as an Amen to your time of lectio ... here is mine and feel free to share yours in the comments

Amen!

Step 4:  Rest ... Come to a place of silence within yourself and just "be" with God.

Breath Prayer ...
Step 1:  In 3-4 syllables, what image of God is emerging from your time of prayer?

Step 2:  In 3-4 syllables, what prayer of desire is rising within you?

Step 3:  Create a breath prayer ... here is mine and feel free to share yours in the comments

Breathing in … Eternal Mystery  ... (pause)
Breathing out … Meet me on the Path   ... (pause)

As you continue to journey through your week, breathe!  If music is a pathway to God for you ... listen to this version of the beautiful song by Michael W. Smith called Great is the Lord.  The images are also quite lovely, interesting and majestic.

Breathing ... Eternal Mystery, Meet me on the Path.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment