Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Psalm 4: O LORD Hear My Prayer!

In Psalm 4 we hear David’s heart cry:  Listen to my prayer!   David is the “man after God’s own heart.”  (see 1 Sam 13:14 and Acts 13:22)  What does this mean?  I believe it means that David’s heart was always turned toward God.  No matter how many times he falls away from God and into sin, we turns back and falls upon God’s mercy.   David trusted God, he was honest with God about how he felt, and he was very responsive to God’s movement.  Read Psalm 4 seeking to know God today as David knew God so very long ago.  

When you are ready, I invite you to take a deep cleansing breath and spend a few moments centering yourself on the God that David knows and loves.    Take this Link to listen to a beautiful song that from the Taize community called O LORD Hear My Prayer to center yourself on God.  Let your heart sing with the music.     Take this Link to learn more about the Taize Community in France.

When you are ready to move deeper into the text ... Pray:  Here I am, God!   Answer me when I cry out to you, my righteous God!  Set me free from all trouble and distractions.  Have mercy on me!  Listen to my prayer!    Amen.  

The Psalms were meant to be read aloud and felt all the way to our bones through the reading.    Read this psalm out loud, slowly and prayerfully, bringing your own emotions, even the darker ones, into your reading.  Allow yourself to feel what David felt and draw closer to God as did grew.  Amen.

Psalm 4 (CEB)
For the music leader. With stringed instruments. A psalm of David.

Answer me when I cry out, my righteous God!
    Set me free from my troubles!
        Have mercy on me!  Listen to my prayer!


How long, you people, will my reputation be insulted?
How long will you continue
    to love what is worthless and go after lies?      Selah
Know this: the LORD takes personal care of the faithful.
The LORD will hear me when I cry out to him.
So be afraid, and don’t sin!
    Think hard about it in your bed and weep over it!      Selah
Bring righteous offerings, and trust the LORD!


Many people say, “We can’t find goodness anywhere.
    The light of your face has left us, LORD!”
But you have filled my heart with more joy
    than when their wheat and wine are everywhere!
I will lie down and fall asleep in peace
    because you alone, LORD, let me live in safety.

Read this passage and linger on the words that catch your attention.  Reflect with a sense of curiosity on just a word or phrase that is full of meaning for you …   Sit with your selection and listen to the whispers of God ... Listen with the ears of your heart!  Turn the word or phrase over in your mind.  Let the Lord your God speak ... Listen!   Where are you being invited to dwell for these few moments?

Read the passage again slowly and linger on those words that seem most important to you now.  Respond to God.   Once again turn your attention to your word or phrase or commandment, and know that you may be drawn to a different word on this reading.    As you contemplate your word or phrase or commandment, how are you being called to respond, in word … prayer … action … in some other way?

Read the passage again and Rest.  Allow the God of David to draw you deeper into Presence … Rest in who you are right now and in the hope for the future you.  Let all the words fade away ... until you are ready to take up your journal and write about your meditation.  When you are ready to move out of your meditation … Pray:  Here I am, God!   Answer me when I cry out to you, my righteous God!  Set me free from all trouble and distractions.  Have mercy on me!  Listen to my prayer!    Amen.  



Cindy’s Reflection … fall asleep in peace … O how I wish I could fall asleep at all, peace would be a lovely perk, there just always seems to be another person in need and more work to do and I can’t always be where I really want to be.  I can’t always find God but how silly I am … remember … God never gets lost!  It is always me and I am sensing an inner dissatisfaction.  Julian of Norwich says, “Nothing less than God will satisfy you.”  And so true!  Here I am God!  Hear my Prayer!


To end your time of study and prayer, find your breath prayer and settle into a place of openness within yourself.  Use this breath prayer or create your own (six to eight syllables)

          Breathe in ... Righteous God (pause)

                Breath out ... Have mercy on me (pause)

            Breathe in ... Righteous God (pause)

               Breath out ... Listen to my prayer (pause)


Amen.  Amen.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment