Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Psalm 23: The Lord is my Shepherd

The 23rd Psalm may be the most popular and well-known Psalm ever.  It is recited at funerals and it is meditated upon when persons are grieving or are going through hard times.   Many people memorized it as they grew up and most people prefer the King James Version because the words are both well worn in the soul and poetic to our listening ear.

Sometimes when we are very familiar with a piece of writing, like a passage of Scripture, we read or recite without really thinking about the words.  We know we love it but we no longer remember why.  One of the ways we can get past this tendency is to use a very different version of the writing.  I invite you to read and pray with Psalm 23 from The Message.  The Message is a contemporary paraphrase written by Eugene Peterson.  It uses a form of translation called functional equivalent, or thought-for-thought.  If it errs, it errs on the side of readability rather than strict accuracy which is not always a bad thing.  

Psalm 23 is attributed to King David who was called to the Kingdom from his vocation as a shepherd.  We can hear in this Psalm young David's experience of God through his early years, wandering and caring for his sheep.


Step 1: Lectio … Reading/Listening

Read  Psalm 23 to yourself twice in a slow and reverent manner.
Listen for the word or phrase that catches your attention.
Silently focus on that word or phrase.
Repeat it several times and allow it to sift through your heart and mind.

God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. 
   You have bedded me down in lush meadows, 
      you find me quiet pools to drink from. 
   True to your word, 
      you let me catch my breath 
      and send me in the right direction. 


Even when the way goes through 
      Death Valley, 
   I'm not afraid 
      when you walk at my side. 
   Your trusty shepherd's crook 
      makes me feel secure. 


You serve me a six-course dinner 
      right in front of my enemies. 
   You revive my drooping head; 
      my cup brims with blessing. 


Your beauty and love chase after me 
      every day of my life. 
   I'm back home in the house of God 
      for the rest of my life.



Step 2: Meditatio … receiving 
Continue to focus on your word or phrase.
Pay attention to the thoughts and feelings it evokes.
What images emerge in your imagination?
What memories come to your mind?
Ask God to continue to speak to you through this word
Listen for God’s reply as you move through your day

Step 3: Oratio … responding
Consider any desires that have been awakened by your prayer
Perhaps you have found an area of your life that needs attention
Do not rush ... wait and listen as God forms your prayers and desires

Step 4: Contempatio … resting
Allow yourself to rest in the silence.
Allow your mind to settle into the silence.
When you feel the time to move on,

Read the traditional 23rd Psalm from the King James Version to close your time of Prayer and express your gratitude with a simple “thank you” or “Amen.”

Public Domain: mid 3rd Century
S. Callisto catacomb


The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.  surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


A Spiritual Discipline to Consider:
In The Message, as in any "paraphrase" Eugene Peterson has given us his "version" of the Biblical text.  I have found this to be an excellent way of internalizing the "message" I am getting from what I am reading.   Perhaps you might try your own paraphrase of this beloved text and see if it moves more deeply into your soul.

Take this Link to my Reflection Blog for my paraphrase of the 23rd Psalm ...


No comments:

Post a Comment