Friday, April 13, 2012

Psalm 133 A Pilgrimage Song

The  Common English Bible (2011) calls Psalm 133 a "pilgrimage" song.  This psalm is one of fifteen psalms traditionally labeled and known as “songs of ascent.”   There are several reasons that commentators give for this notation, one of which is that these psalms were sung by the Jewish pilgrims when they would "ascend" the steps to visit the Temple in Jerusalem three times annually for the feast of Passover (Pesach), the feast of Weeks (Shavuot), and the feast of Booths or Tabernacles (Sukkoth).   For more information, see my reflection on Psalm 121

A pilgrimage is a physical journey with a spiritual purpose.   The Jewish pilgrims came to Jerusalem together as ONE during the festivals to “ascend” the steps leading up to the Temple, to celebrate and come close to God in the Temple.  How do they come close to God in their pilgrimage?  They remember.  They remember when they were at the end of the road … and God open up a “new” way.  The Quakers have a saying when there seems to be no way.  They wait, and they say, “when way opens.”  

A Road in Bocas del Toro, Panama which was destroyed in November 2008.
I took this picture in July 2009 while on a mission trip to Bongo, Panama.
There is a song that says, “God will make a way where there seems to be no way.”   If you don’t know the song or would like to hear it, take this Link. The lyrics can get in the way of the beautiful images.  And the song does have overly masculine references to God, that I find personally off-putting but even so the message is sound.  God will always open “way.”   I think it may be worth the trip to see the image of stone steps around :20 that are very appropriate for considering the “songs of ascent.” 

When you are ready, I invite you to take a deep cleansing breath and spend a few moments centering yourself on God, the One who always makes a way for us when we have come to the end of our road if we'll wait with grace and patience.   Breathe and settle into a place of openness within yourself with a simple breath prayer.  Use this one or create your own (six to eight syllables)  
 
          Breathe in ... When way opens (pause)

                Breath out ... You are there (pause)

                        Breathe in ... When way opens (pause)

               Breath out ... I am here (pause)

         
and when you are ready to move deeper into the text ... Pray:

God of pilgrims throughout time, God of my life pilgrimage, I trust that you are there for me even when I don’t see you.  O how I long to know how to stay in your presence continually and to pray unceasinging and to follow you into eternity.  I find myself impatient, O God!  Fill me with patience and help me wait for you.   Amen.    

Read Psalm 133 (CEB) slowly and with intention.

A pilgrimage song. Of David.

Look at how good and pleasing it is
when families live together as one!
It is like expensive oil poured over the head,
running down onto the beard—Aaron’s beard!—
which extended over the collar of his robes.
It is like the dew on Mount Hermon
streaming down onto the mountains of Zion,
because it is there
that the Lord has commanded the blessing:
everlasting life.

Read this passage of the Jewish pilgrims and consider your-self as you make your way on your life pilgrimage.   Linger on the words that seem important to you.  Reflect on just a word or phrase that is full of meaning for you  …   Sit with your selection and listen to the whispers of God ... Listen with the ears of your heart!  Turn the word or phrase over in your mind.  Let the Lord your God speak ... Listen with the ears of your heart!   Where are you being invited to dwell for these few moments?  

Read the passage again slowly and linger on the words that seem most important to you now.  Take the time to Respond to God.   Once again turn your attention to your word or phrase or commandment, and know that you may be drawn to a different word on this reading.    As you contemplate your word or phrase or commandment, how are you being called to respond, in word … prayer … action … in some other way?   

Read the passage again and Rest.  Allow the God of pilgrims to draw you deeper into the pilgrimage of life which is all about becoming who you were created to be … Rest in who you are right now and in the hope of your future.  Let all the words fade away ... until you are ready to take up your journal and write about your meditation.  When you are ready to move out of your meditation … Pray:

God of Life, I pray that you will lead me where I need to be on this pilgrimage of my life.  Amen.

Cindy’s Reflection … "one"   What would it mean to live life in one-ness with God?  How can I grow ever closer to God?  What would it mean to live life in one-ness with others?  How can I grow closer to others as I listen to their stories and love them as Christ?  What would it mean to live life in one-ness with myself?  How can I grow closer to being who I truly am at the center of my being?  

No comments:

Post a Comment