Thursday, February 27, 2020

Elements of Easter Lenten Devotional 2020

I've written an online DAILY devotional for Lent ... It isn't lectionary and it isn't Lectio Divina but I think the reflection questions are good.  The prayer form I'm teaching for this series is the acrostic ACTS prayer:  Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. 


Scripture: Psalm 51:1-17
Focus Verse: Psalm 51:1a  
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love

Commentary:  Psalm 51 is considered by many to be the best illustration of repentance in the bible.  Attributed to King David, a man after God’s own heart, the words are those of one deeply offended by his own behavior.  David knew God deeply and intimately.  He knew God loved him, but he did not take advantage of that love.  As we read the words, we can feel his deep sorrow over his behavior … his “contrite heart” comes through each word he writes.

Reflection:  Have you ever been burdened by your own sin?  How has God shown mercy to you and welcomed you back into a loving relationship?

ACTS Prayer
Adoration: God of Steadfast Love and Mercy, I adore you!
Confession: Against you, you alone, have I sinned
Thanksgiving:  Open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise for your forgiveness astounds me.
Supplication:  I lift up to you those persons who do not know that you love them.  Help them find their way to your mercy.

ACTS of Faith:  Listen to the people around you as they share themselves with you.  Tell someone about how you found God’s love in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment