Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Praying for Everyone!

There are as many ways to pray as there are people who pray.  What is prayer?  For me, prayer is communication with God ... sometimes I talk but mostly I listen.  Silence is very important to me.  It isn't to a lot of people.  Our way of entering into the scripture through Lectio Divina, which means "divine reading" is a way of "praying" the biblical text seeking a word from God which will illuminate our lives.  In prayer, I give (my time, attention, thoughts, words, feelings, etc) to God but I also receive (peace, understanding, presence, guidance, direction, etc) from God.  

This week our text comes from a letter written to a young pastor from an older pastor.  This old pastor gives a lot of instruction and advice.  In the passage we look at this week, he talks about prayer.  He asks the young pastor to pray.  The older pastor says, "pray for everyone!"  He gives such a good reason, it makes me smile.  This kind of prayer pleases God because (wait for it) God wants everyone to be saved.  Well, I think those words are beautiful in their simplicity.  Don't try playing games about who is in and who is out, who is worthy and who is not worthy.  Let's just pray for everyone and let God take care of the world through our prayers ... ok that was me!   What about you?

Lighting Candles in a Ritual of Intercessory Prayer (Praying for Others)
When you are ready to lean into our passage for lectio divina and pray with me, take a few moments to center yourself by engaging in a simple breath prayer (6-8 syllables) like this one (or one that emerges from within yourself) until you are focused on God.

Breathe in ... God of Blessings (pause)
Breathe out ... Bless the World! (pause)

Then pray for illumination of the text:  Spirit of the Saving God, open my heart to the power of your Love for everyone in the world.  Speak to my heart as I listen to your voice in the text.  Amen.

Step 1: Lectio/Reading … Reading
Read 1 Timothy 2:17 slowly and reverently, letting the words steep in your mind. Perhaps you might imagine yourself listening to a seasoned and wise pastor who knows God through his or her own deep prayer life.  Know that you can trust the person who speaks these words to you.  Listen for a word or phrase that catches your attention.  Gently focus on that word or phrase.  Repeat it several times and allow it to be sifted through your heart and mind all the way to your soul.

First of all, I ask you to pray for everyone. Ask God to help and bless them all, and tell God how thankful you are for each of them. Pray for kings and others in power, so that we may live quiet and peaceful lives as we worship and honor God. This kind of prayer is good, and it pleases God our Savior. God wants everyone to be saved and to know the whole truth, which is, There is only one God, and Christ Jesus is the only one who can bring us to God. Jesus was truly human, and he gave himself to rescue all of us.  God showed us this at the right time.  This is why God chose me to be a preacher and an apostle of the good news. I am telling the truth. I am not lying. God sent me to teach the Gentiles about faith and truth.

Step 2: Meditatio/Meditation … Receiving
Read the passage a 2nd time ...
Continue to focus on just a word or a phrase (it may be different on this reading)
Pay attention to the thoughts and feelings the passage evokes within you.
What images emerge in your imagination?  What memories come to your mind?
Ask God to continue to speak to you through the word or phrase you've been drawn to.
Listen for God’s reply as you move through your day

Step 3: Oratio/Prayer … Responding
Consider any thoughts or feelings or desires that have been awakened.
Perhaps you have found an area of your life that needs attention.
Do not rush ... how are you drawn to respond to God?

Step 4: Contempatio/Contemplative Silence … Resting
Allow yourself to rest in the silence.
Allow your mind to settle into the silence.
Allow your heart and breathe with the silence
When you feel the time to move on ...

Pray:  Spirit of the Saving God, I pray for everyone in the world to know you.  Please help them and bless them richly.  I am thankful for humanity, for each and every person you create. I pray for the leaders of the world, that they may bring peace and confidence in the people they lead as we worship and honor you. Please save the people from leaders who would abuse and harm them.  I pray for those who feel lost, for those think they are the least, and for those who have no love in their lives.  Lift them up and show me how to reach out to everyone who needs you.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment