Friday, April 26, 2013

Revelation/Vision from Beyond: Alpha and Omega!

OK I confess, Revelation has never been my favorite book of the bible.  I steered completely clear of it for many years.  I am not a biblical literalist and the "left behind" type of interpretation kept me from looking beyond the surface into the images and their deeper significance.  I was blocked within myself as I thought I wasn't "spiritual" enough to understand the visions.  Then, one day a friend and I had a conversation in which we talked each other into reading it together.  As I read it with her, I felt "free" from seeing Revelation through the eyes of others.   We read it from beginning to end.  Honestly, I thought it was quite strange and innocuous, the visions seemed more "otherworldly" than real.  Rather than scaring me, I found Revelation strangely comforting.   That in and of itself may seem quite strange :)

The truth is that the original readers of Revelation were a persecuted people.  It was written in the form of apocalyptic literature which is usually written in times of catastrophic change and upheaval, a time when our worldview is so challenged that we are tempted to give up our beliefs because they are no longer working for us.   When suffering at this level of communal persecution, people do not simply cry out "Where are you God?" they cry out ... "Is there a God?"

When things go bad, we look for anything that can give us an image of a "future with hope."  We all go through difficult times, times that we think we won't get through at the time we are going through them.  Yet, the author "John," who wrote the book of mystical visions that he called Revelation, is strong in this conviction: In the end, God is here!  In the end, God IS!


The word "apocalypse" comes from the Greek word "apokalypsis" which means "to reveal."  So ... does this book reveal God to you? 


I chose the Revelation (21:1-6) passage this week because it does reveal God to me.  I find it to be a truly beautiful hidden gem, rich in comforting and beautiful images of God and the spiritual life!

Image in Public Domain.  Central is the "Chi Rho" symbol which is said to be one of the earliest "cruciform" symbols used by Christians.  Chi (ch) & Rho (r) are the first letters in "Christ."   Emperor Constantine used the symbol in the 4th Century.  On many early depictions of the Chi Rho you can see the Alpha/Omega symbols on either side of the Chi Rho cruciform. 

I invite you to spend a few moments nurturing your relationship with the God of Eternity as you read and pray and listen and celebrate God’s Presence through the Word.   Breathe and settle into a place of openness within yourself with a simple breath prayer.  Use this one or create your own (six to eight syllables but I’ve used 10 and that is ok)

          Breathe in ... Alpha, Omega (pause)

               Breath out ...
Beginning and End (pause)

and when you are ready to move deeper into the text ... Pray:

Alpha, Omega, Beginning and End … 
Forever I want to live in your Tabernacle, the Tent of Your Being.  As I read and pray, fill my heart with love and understanding of your holy word.    Amen.  

Read Revelation 21:1-6  from The Inclusive Bible: The First Egalitarian Translation slowly.   Immerse yourself in the vivid images as you engage in Lectio Divina, or Praying with Scripture.  Allow yourself to be drawn deeply into God’s Presence as you read and pray and listen.

Then I saw new heavens and a new earth.  The former heavens and the former earth had passed away, and the sea existed no longer.  I also saw the New Jerusalem, the holy city coming down out of heaven from God, beautiful as a bride and groom on their wedding day.  And I heard a loud voice from the throne, “Look! God’s Tabernacle is among humankind!  God will live with them; they will be God's people, and God will be fully present among them.  The Most High will wipe away every tear from their eyes. And death, mourning, crying, and pain will be no more, for the old order has fallen.” The One who sat on the throne said, “Look! I’m making everything new!” And added, “Write this, for what I am saying is trustworthy and true.”  And that One continued, “It is finished. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To those who are thirsty I will give drink freely from spring of the water of life.  

Read this beautiful passage again slowly and Reflect on just a word or phrase … or the image that draws your attention.   Sit with your selection and listen to the whispers of God the Most High ... Listen!  Turn your word or phrase or image over and over in your mind.  Let God the Most High speak into your heart.

Where is God, the Alpha and Omega speaking into your life through this passage?

Read the passage again slowly and Respond to God.   Once again turn your attention to your word or phrase or image.  Know that it is ok if you are being drawn in a different direction on this reading!

As you contemplate your word or phrase or image, how are you being called to drink freely from the spring of the water of life?   In word … prayer … action … or some other way?  

Read the passage again and Rest.  Allow God, Creator of the New Jerusalem, to draw you deeper into the Tabernacle of God’s Presence and into the relationship of love that God has with you.  Let all the words fade away ... until you are moved to take up a journal and write about your meditation or perhaps to take a walk and drink in the majesty of God’s creation ...

Pray:  O God you are the Alpha and the Omega, the Most High God.  Help me see the newness you bring into my life each day and help me welcome your love into my heart.  Help me take your beauty and your love into the world.    Amen.

In the last year of her life, my Mom loved to listen to the Gaither Band ... I found a beautiful song called "He is the Alpha and Omega" sung by the Gaither Vocal Band.  I don't think this is who my Mom listened to BUT as I listened to it I could feel my Mom's presence.  She really would have loved it listening to their beautiful voices raised in praise to God.  I hope you enjoy it too and maybe remember someone you have loved who is singing in heaven with the Alpha and Omega!

No comments:

Post a Comment