Thursday, February 2, 2012

A God of Healing!


Hello friends ... I invite you to sit for a moment and breathe deeply of God's peace and warmth.   Take a few moments to center yourself on the source of all being.  Know that God is a healer.  Are you in need of healing ... and by that I mean a deeper sense of wholeness within yourself rather than a "cure for all ills."   As you breathe and settle into a place of deep need within yourself, listen for the echoes of the deep love and care God has for you ... can you sense the gentle balm of the Spirit calling your wounds to come forth?    This can be a desolate place to be and yet you are never alone for the Spirit of God hovers over you, lives within you, and surrounds the universe with Presence.  Bask in this immersion of God's love and when you are ready ... Pray:

Healing God, Break open my heart and reveal my woundedness as I read your holy word.  Help me receive a word of healing from you upon my life.  Amen.    


Read Mark 1:29-39 slowly, visualizing this amazing story of healing as it comes to life in your imagination.   Which word or phase calls for your attention?  Mull that word over in your mind ...

Mark 1:29-39  (NRSV)
As soon as they left the synagogue, they entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John.  Now Simon's mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they told him about her at once.  He came and took her by the hand and lifted her up. Then the fever left her, and she began to serve them.  That evening, at sundown, they brought to him all who were sick or possessed with demons.  And the whole city was gathered around the door.  And he cured many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and he would not permit the demons to speak, because they knew him.  In the morning, while it was still very dark, he got up and went out to a deserted place, and there he prayed.  And Simon and his companions hunted for him.  When they found him, they said to him, "Everyone is searching for you."  He answered, "Let us go on to the neighboring towns, so that I may proclaim the message there also; for that is what I came out to do."  And he went throughout Galilee, proclaiming the message in their synagogues and casting out demons.

Read the passage again slowly and Reflect on the word or phrase that draws your attention, it may even be a different word on this reading.   Repeat that word or phrase.  Ponder this Word or phrase through which God is speaking to YOU as you let the story come alive in your mind and heart.   Where does this word or phrase touch your own brokenness or the brokenness of someone you love?   Tuck your thoughts deep into prayer and let your feelings emerge.

Read the passage again slowly and Respond.   Share with God how you feel about what you are hearing about your life through your word or phrase.   Speak your prayers out loud.  Speak petitions for yourself or intercede on behalf of another ... let your tears flow if they come and let your passion pour forth.  Let God's Spirit move deeply into your consciousness.  Ask God to reveal to you what healing and wholeness looks like in your life.  Ask God to help you surrender to this vision, even if it doesn't look like you want it to look and be content.

Read the passage again and Rest.  Allow the presence of God to surround you and deepen your sense of Presence so you are able to surrender to God's word of wholeness.  Rest until the peace of God settles into your own spirit ... Take time to journal your meditations!

When you sense the time to move on, Pray:  
Healing God, I see you in my life, I know you in my heart, I hear your word of life, heal my woundedness and make my life whole as I seek to be wholly dedicated to you and your healing in the people of the world and in all of creation!    Amen.

material from a desert altar


Cindy's Journal Reflection ...  
a deserted place, the desert to find peace and healing in my heart, praying and meditating and wondering ... sometimes wondering why the healing isn't the way I think it should be, how often we don't get the healing that we so desperately ask for in our lives and in the lives of those we love ...  how hard it is and your Presence in the desert is healing if I let it be but only if I surrender and let go and simply sit, sit, sit in your Presence letting you be God ... cradling me in your love.

2 comments:

  1. a mosaic; pondering what I am and where I am headed with God's directions as a guide His words to fill me as I travel. These words tonight ... actually early this morning have filled me with quiet thoughts which encourage me to keep on the path He is lighting. quietly I sit and am grateful for so much there are no words... just praise. His - maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi maggie ... thank you for your comment.

    I hear you. Your words about keeping on the path that is lighted resonate with me quite deeply. I just posted a poetic self-image and watercolor on my reflection blog, imamosaic.blogspot.com, called "i call mySelf mosaic." I invite you to read and ponder and perhaps share your own self-image. peace to you, cindy

    ReplyDelete