Sunday, April 7, 2013

My Friend Thomas: When Doubts lead to Deep Faith

Christ the Lord is Risen!  Christ the Lord is Risen indeed!

Icon of the Risen Christ
Easter Sunday is only the beginning ... the beginning of new life!  While the Journey of Lent is a turn inward, a time to reflect and examine oneself, the 7-week Journey of Easter is an outward movement culminating on the Day of Pentecost.  The Journey is filled with "appearances" of the risen Christ who offers "shalom "...  which means peace, not just calm in one's own soul but the communal peace, harmony, and love of God's people living with one another through good times and bad. 

It was still the first day of the week. That evening, while the disciples were behind closed doors because they were afraid of the Jewish authorities, Jesus came and stood among them. He said, “Peace be with you.”  After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. When the disciples saw the Lord, they were filled with joy.  Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father sent me, so I am sending you.”  Then he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.  If you forgive anyone’s sins, they are forgiven; if you don’t forgive them, they aren’t forgiven.”  Thomas, the one called Didymus, one of the Twelve, wasn’t with the disciples when Jesus came.  ( John 20:19-24 CEB)

The Easter "season" is a time to consider how God is calling us as disciples of the risen Christ to reach out to all people with the same love and compassion that Jesus the Suffering Servant has showed to us through his life, death and resurrection. For me, the discordant "if you don't forgive" is troubling but I do realize that there is transcendence in the authentic human community who live in "shalom" that moves beyond the pettiness, often in God's Name, we see in some communities against those who are "not like us."  

As we drop in to this passage, I smile a little smile, like I always do, at that last line ... "Thomas ... wasn't with the disciples when Jesus came."   I am a person who tends to run late.  Just last night I arrived at a meeting across town about 10 minutes late and one of the kindest persons said, "I'm sorry.  Did you get lost?"  Obviously she doesn't know me very well!  I said, "No.  I'm just late."   Unfortunately, also just like Thomas I'm also a skeptic.  And yet, I hope I am also like Thomas in that my deepest faith emerges from my doubt.  Have you ever had doubts?  And where did your doubts lead you

As you prepare your heart to receive the Word of God, remember times when you had doubts and remember how your faith overcame your doubts ... If you are still in a time of doubt, how is that currently shaping your faith.  Take a few moments to engage in a breath prayer to center yourself:

Breathe in ... O Holy One (pause)
Breathe out ... Live through my doubts (pause)


When you are ready to move into this week's focus text, pray this prayer of illumination and consent to God's presence guiding you ...

Risen Lord Christ, open my heart to the power of your resurrection.  As read the words of Scripture, walk with me and allow me to receive the Holy Spirit so I might live in grace and peace, within myself and with others.  Amen.

As you move into this week's text ... John 20:25-31
Step 1: Lectio … Reading
Read the passage silently to yourself, slowly and reverently, letting the words steep in your mind.
Listen for a word or phrase that catches your attention.  Gently focus on that word or phrase.  Repeat it several times and allow it to be sifted through your heart and mind all the way to your soul.

The other disciples told [Thomas] “We’ve seen the Lord!”  But he replied, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands, put my finger in the wounds left by the nails, and put my hand into his side, I won’t believe.”   After eight days his disciples were again in a house and Thomas was with them. Even though the doors were locked, Jesus entered and stood among them. He said, “Peace be with you.”  Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here. Look at my hands. Put your hand into my side. No more disbelief. Believe!”  Thomas responded to Jesus, “My Lord and my God!”  Jesus replied, “Do you believe because you see me? Happy are those who don’t see and yet believe.”   Then Jesus did many other miraculous signs in his disciples’ presence, signs that aren’t recorded in this scroll.  But these things are written so that you will believe that Jesus is the Christ, God’s Son, and that believing, you will have life in his name.

Step 2: Meditatio … Receiving
Read the passage a 2nd time ... 
Continue to focus on your word or phrase (it may be different)
Pay attention to the thoughts and feelings the passage evokes.
What images emerge in your imagination?
What memories come to your mind?
Ask God to continue to speak to you through this word.
Listen for God’s reply as you move through your day

Step 3: Oratio … Responding
Consider any desires that have been awakened by your prayer.
Perhaps you have found an area of your life that needs attention.
Do not rush ... wait and listen as God forms your prayers and desires

Step 4: Contempatio … Resting
Allow yourself to rest in the silence.
Allow your mind to settle into the silence.
When you feel the time to move on ...

Pray … Holy One of God!  Overcome my doubts and let me believe in you. Overcome my doubts and let me know you.  Overcome my doubts and let Your Spirit live within me.  Overcome my doubts and let me live in Your Presence for all of eternity.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment