Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Song of Solomon: The Voice of my Beloved!

Have you ever read the Song of Solomon?   It is beautiful poetry that weaves an erotic love story between two people emboldened by their passion.  It is traditionally attributed to King Solomon, son of David, but it may just as likely have been a book of poetry dedicated to him.   The whole book is definitely worth the time to read and wouldn’t take that long.  In fact, many persons have considered this story of human love to be as racy as a contemporary romance novel.  On the other hand, the Song of Solomon (also known as the Song of Songs) is the source of many commentaries, both in antiquity and in contemporary writings, upon the love between God and humanity.   
“Back when he was a young romantic, Solomon writes love letters to his lady and she writes back.  Some people read it from a different angle – that they’re love letters between the Liberator and his people … whichever, it’s hot stuff.” 
~Rob Lacey, from The Word on the Street
In the three years of lectionary readings, this is the only passage you will find from the Song of Solomon.  Are you curious yet?  Come take a peek at this glorious LOVE poetry … I invite you to spend a few moments to prepare your heart to worship God as you pray with this passage from the often provocative Song of Solomon.  

Breathe deeply and envision God’s Spirit filling you with love with each breath you take! 

Settle into a place of openness within yourself with a simple breath prayer.  Use this one or create your own (six to eight syllables) 

          Breathe in (who do you worship?) Gentle  Spirit (pause)

               Breath out (what do you need?) fill me with Love (pause)

and when you are ready to move deeper into the text ... Pray:

God of Love, as I read your holy word, open my heart and let me know your loving presence deep within me, filling me with the gentle warmth of your Spirit.  Reveal the wonder of your presence drenched in the Word as I worship you and pray through the Scripture.  Amen.   

Read Song of Solomon 2:8-13 slowly, allowing the passage to unfold in your mind.   Visualize the scene in your imagination and allow the Spirit to lead you deeply into this fragrant garden of God’s love.
A Garden in Panama July 2009
Listen!  It’s my lover:here he comes now,
        leaping upon the mountains, bounding over the hills.
My lover is like a gazelle or a young stag.
Here he stands now, outside our wall,
        peering through the windows, peeking through the lattice.
My lover spoke and said to me,
“Rise up, my dearest, my fairest, and go.
Here, the winter is past; the rains have come and gone.
Blossoms have appeared in the land;
        the season of singing has arrived,
        and the sound of the turtledove is heard in our land.
The green fruit is on the fig tree,
        and the grapevines in bloom are fragrant.
Rise up, my dearest, my fairest, and go.
Read the passage again slowly and Reflect on just a word or phrase that draws your attention.   Sit with your word or phrase and listen to the whispers of God’s presence in the hearts of these lovers ... Listen!  Turn your word or phrase over and over in your mind and let God speak into your heart.   Where is God inviting you to “rise up, dearest, fairest, and go?”   Or perhaps there is another invitation you find in the text?

Read the passage again slowly and Respond to God.   Once again turn your attention to your word or phrase, knowing that it may be a different word on this reading.    As you contemplate the invitation you are hearing from God, how are you being called to respond, in word … prayer … action … or in some other way?

Read
the passage again and Rest.  Allow Gentle Spirit to comfort you in your unknowing.  Let all the words fade away ... when you are ready to move out of your meditation, is there a simple phrase that you might carry with you throughout your day … ?

To end your time of rest, pray this prayer or one of your own.  If you are so inclined, perhaps you might journal a little reflection and/or make a little art to process your time of prayer as I have.

Gentle Spirit, I am here.  I embrace You as You embrace me.  Let me rise up and come wherever you lead me!  Amen.

Cindy’s Reflection … Such rich images, they almost assault my senses.  I confess I am more comfortable with viewing this passage as God’s love for humanity, as God’s love for me in a more intimate sense.  Perhaps I am too steeped in our culture that often considers the sexual side of life to be talked about privately rather than openly.  While I honestly don’t agree with that, I am still uncomfortable … I wonder why that is???   Is it just the culture or is there an unhealed hurt that I must deal with in order to embrace this passage in all of its depth???  As I relish this passage as God’s love song …  I do so love the image of God “peeking through the lattice.”  It speaks to me of playfulness and the sense of the God who watches and pursues me continually. I wonder what God sees when "peeking through the lattice" into my soul ... As the ocean continues to play with the beach, so does the God of love and laughter continue to send waves of love upon my heart.  Amen … 

No comments:

Post a Comment