Saturday, May 19, 2012

Ascension of Christ: Blessings Abound!

Jesus ascended!  Now he “sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty” so the Apostle's Creed goes, right?    I wonder, “where is this (implied) throne of God?”   I think I always thought the ascension of Christ was rather bizarre … because of course I know what lies in the sky.  It’s not pie and it’s not God.     Cause beyond the sky is vast galaxies … stars and planets and black holes and asteroids and … so much fascinating stuff!  Some of us modern people tend to dismiss mystical experience because we “know” better.  Others of us modern people tend to pretend there is no mystery (or science) to invite us deeper.  And what about us modern people who sense there is more to the mystery than meets the eye?


As I sat with this mystical account of the ascension of Jesus I remembered several years ago when I attended the Great Passion Play in Eureka Springs, Arkansas with my husband and 2 young children.   It truly was a fantastic production and when I heard my little girl gasp in awe as Jesus “ascended” and light burst forth and flooded the night sky, I smiled in my inward being.  Yes, I could see the wires and pulley, but she couldn’t.  She was transported into the Mystery of God in that moment.   And somehow so was I, through her eyes … so were we all as we entered into her world of wonder.  

Have you ever entered a world of wonder or had an experience that you were afraid to share with others because you couldn’t explain it?   And those others might think you were a just little crazy.  It’s funny because when I tell others about some of the mystical experiences I have had, I find most people have similar stories to share.   Again and again, I enter into the wonder and mystery of God as I listen to the stories told by others.  In the reading today we hear one of those kinds of stories from the writer of the gospel of Luke.   And how did they respond to the ascension of Christ … the Jesus they knew and loved who blessed them one more time right before he “ascended.”  They worshipped!  What else can we do when we are enveloped in the mystery of God?  WE worship!

I invite you to spend a few moments to prepare your heart to worship God as you pray with Scripture.   Breathe deeply and envision God’s Spirit filling you with love with each breath you take!  Settle into a place of openness within yourself with a simple breath prayer.  Use this one or create your own (six to eight syllables)

          Breathe in (who do you worship?) God of Mystery (pause)

               Breath out (what do you need?) fill me with wonder (pause)

and when you are ready to move deeper into the text ... Pray:

God of Mystery, as I read your holy word,  open my mind and let me feel the blessings of Jesus in my life.  Reveal the wonder of your presence in this world as I worship you.   Reveal the wonder of your kingdom and your reign in this world.  Amen.    

Read Luke 24:44-53 slowly, allowing the passage to unfold in your mind.   Visualize the scene in your imagination and let the Spirit whisper in your heart.

Then he said to them, "These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you--that everything written about me in the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms must be fulfilled."  Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures, and he said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Messiah is to suffer and to rise from the dead on the third day, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins is to be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.  You are witnesses of these things.  And see, I am sending upon you what my Father promised; so stay here in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."  Then he led them out as far as Bethany, and, lifting up his hands, he blessed them.  While he was blessing them, he withdrew from them and was carried up into heaven.  And they worshiped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy; and they were continually in the temple blessing God.

Read the passage again slowly and Reflect on just a word or phrase that draws your attention.   Sit with your word or phrase and listen to the whispers of God’s promise in the text ... Listen!  Turn your word or phrase over and over in your mind and let God speak into your heart.   Where is God inviting you to be “clothed with power from on high?”   Or is there another invitation you find in the text?

Read the passage again slowly and Respond to God.   Once again turn your attention to your word or phrase, knowing that it may be a different word on this reading.    As you contemplate the invitation you are hearing from God, how are you being called to respond, in word … prayer … action … or in some other way?

Read the passage again and Rest.  Allow the God of Mystery to fill you with unknowing.  Let all the words fade away ... when you are ready to move out of your meditation, is there a simple phrase that you might carry with you throughout your day …

To end your time of reflection, Pray this prayer or one of your own:

God of Mystery, I give you thanks for Jesus.  I am grateful for the blessings I receive through his journey of living, dying, rising … ascending.  Amen.
Cindy’s Journal Reflection 
carried into heaven … when I worship God I am carried into heaven … a place that is beyond all that I am and all that I have … the mystery of God … the unknowing … I can only rest in awe as I think of God … and yet I am called to be “clothed from on high” and I am called to reach out into the world with hope … for all God has done for me, I am called to give my all for others.  And when I give my all for others, I am carried into heaven.  And I am filled with light and love!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment