Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pentecost: Filled with the Holy Spirit

John 14:8-17, 25-27        Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father. That is all we need.”   Jesus answered, “I have been with you a long time now. Do you still not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. So why do you say, ‘Show us the Father’?   Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I say to you don’t come from me, but the Father lives in me and does his own work.   Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or believe because of the miracles I have done.   I tell you the truth, whoever believes in me will do the same things that I do. Those who believe will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.   And if you ask for anything in my name, I will do it for you so that the Father’s glory will be shown through the Son.   If you ask me for anything in my name, I will do it.    “If you love me, you will obey my commands.   I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it does not see him or know him. But you know him, because he lives with you and he will be in you.   “I have told you all these things while I am with you.   But the Helper will teach you everything and will cause you to remember all that I told you. This Helper is the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name.   “I leave you peace; my peace I give you. I do not give it to you as the world does. So don’t let your hearts be troubled or afraid.



 Icon:  Descent of the Holy Spirit
12th century Byzantine Artwork, public domain     
http://www.arthermitage.org/Pair-to-the-Icon-Descent-into-Limbo/Icon-Descent-of-the-Holy-Spirit.html

Context:   In Luke 24:49, Jesus promises to send the Holy Spirit to the disciples but they have to be patient and wait:  “And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.”    This promise is fulfilled in Acts 2:1-12.    Pentecost is the day we celebrate the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the gathered faithful.  

This week’s gospel passage is located early in the farewell discourse during which Jesus consistently talks about his relationship with God as “one” or “union” with God.  See last week's post for more info on union with God.  He also repeatedly talks about his future, “I am going to the Father.”  The disciples are anxiously wondering about their own future and what they will do when their dear teacher “leaves” them, so Jesus begins to teach them about Spirit.   Spirit is parakletos {par-ak'-lay-tos} which means one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate or one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor or one who comes alongside.   Various bible versions translate this word for Spirit as Helper, Comforter, Counselor, and Advocate.  The Message translates paraclete as Friend.

Jesus also refers to the Spirit pneuma {pnyoo'-mah} (movement of air) of Truth aletheia {al-ay'-thi-a} (candour of mind which is free from affection, pretence, simulation, falsehood, deceit) which furthers amplifies what we know about God and who is sent in the name of Jesus.    In this passage, we learn that the Spirit will 1) be sent to us by God 2) teach us everything 3) help us remember the teachings of Jesus.


Going Deeper:  Take a moment to read the fulfillment of the promise in Acts 2:1-12 with all of your senses as you allow it to play out in your mind.  Consider what you see, hear, smell, taste, and what you can touch and feel as you read … When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.  Suddenly a noise like a strong, blowing wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.  They saw something like flames of fire that were separated and stood over each person there.  They were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they began to speak different languages by the power the Holy Spirit was giving them.    There were some religious Jews staying in Jerusalem who were from every country in the world.  When they heard this noise, a crowd came together. They were all surprised, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.  They were completely amazed at this. They said, “Look! Aren’t all these people that we hear speaking from Galilee?  Then how is it possible that we each hear them in our own languages? We are from different places:  Parthia, Media, Elam, Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, the areas of Libya near Cyrene, Rome (both Jews and those who had become Jews), Crete, and Arabia. But we hear them telling in our own languages about the great things God has done!”  They were all amazed and confused, asking each other, “What does this mean?”

Pondering:  What do you notice from the scene that has unfolded in your mind?   What do you see in the house as the wind from heaven moves in?   What do the people look like in your visualization?   How would you describe the “something” that was like flames of fire?

Can you describe the sound of the Spirit filling the room?   What does it sound like when people begin to speak in different languages?  Is there a language that you can understand?  If not, how does that make you feel?  What is it like to hear so many different languages being spoken all around you?  Can you imagine how you would feel to be in such a culturally diverse community?  Have you ever experienced anything like Pentecost?

What about smells and tastes?   Can you describe what you can reach out and touch?  How do you feel as your senses are heightened?   Can you connect with the mixed emotions of amazement and confusion that the people were feeling as they asked, “What does this mean?”   So … what does Pentecost mean for your life?

Jesus says the Spirit will cause us to remember what Jesus has taught us … Think about an issue that you are thinking about, perhaps even struggling with.    Take a deep breath and breathe in the presence of the Spirit.  What wisdom does the Spirit bring into your remembrance?   Is there a favorite Scripture verse or quote that emerges in your mind to comfort, help, or counsel you?    Is there as story that emerges that you can share with others to strengthen them in their journey of faith?

Prayer:  Find a red candle or holder and light your candle to symbolize the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost.  Quiet your mind and sit in the silence for a few minutes as you consider the power of the Spirit transforming your life as you surrender to union with God.

When you are ready, use this prayer to the Holy Spirit, written by one of the early church fathers, to close your time of study:

A Prayer to the Holy Spirit
by St. Augustine of Hippo (AD 354-430)

Breathe in me O Holy Spirit
that my thoughts may all be holy;
Act in me O Holy Spirit
that my works, too, may be holy;
Draw my heart O Holy Spirit
that I love but what is holy;
Strengthen me O Holy Spirit
to defend all that is holy;
Guard me then O Holy Spirit
that I always may be holy. Amen.          

No comments:

Post a Comment