Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Following Jesus: My Sheep Listen to My Voice

John 10:22-30  It was now winter, and Jesus was in Jerusalem at the time of Hanukkah, the Festival of Dedication.  He was in the Temple, walking through the section known as Solomon’s Colonnade.  The people surrounded him and asked, “How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

Jesus replied, “I have already told you, and you don’t believe me. The proof is the work I do in my Father’s name.  But you don’t believe me because you are not my sheep.  My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand.  The Father and I are one.”


Context:  After spending a couple of weeks looking at the resurrection appearances in the book of John, now we go back in the story … where we find Jesus teaching about his relationship with God … “the Father and I are one.”    He addresses people who are skeptical … people who do not yet believe, people who are not followers.   How does one begin to believe?  In this passage, Jesus says it is the work.  We know Jesus and we know people who follow Jesus because they listen and follow.   When we see Jesus, when we listen to Jesus, when we follow Jesus … and other people see God.

Going Deeper:  Throughout Christianity, from the beginning to this day, people have struggled over this question of the relationship between Jesus and God.  Think about your own beliefs about Jesus and his relationship with God.  How is your belief in God shaped by your study of Scripture?   How is your belief shaped by people you have served with?

Pondering:  Mother Teresa said, “We may wonder, whom can I love and serve? Where is the face of God to whom I can pray?   The answer is simple: That naked one.  That lonely one.   That unwanted one who is my brother and my sister.   If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.”    In this passage, Jesus tells us that the secret to life is the willingness to give life away, that sacrifice leads to new life, that dying leads to resurrection.  Jesus came and provided signs that pointed to a different kind of kingdom than the one we are expecting.   If the kingdom of God has come near to you ... where is it?

Jesus said, "my sheep listen to my voice."  We often discern "the voice" from within ... it emerges from a burden or a passion for a particular issue, people, or situation.  Often our heart "breaks."  For whom is your heart breaking this day?  Can you hear Christ calling?  Where are you being called to?  Will you go?

Prayer:  Sometimes Jesus calls us to simply rest in the presence of God.  Read this version of Psalm 23 from the Contemporary English Version (or another version which is a favorite) aloud and visualize Jesus meeting you at this peaceful stream … for rest.

You, LORD, are my shepherd.   I will never be in need.
You let me rest in fields of green grass.
You lead me to streams of peaceful water, and you refresh my life.
You are true to your name, and you lead me along the right paths.
I may walk through valleys as dark as death, but I won't be afraid.
You are with me, and your shepherd's rod makes me feel safe.
You treat me to a feast, while my enemies watch.
You honor me as your guest, and you fill my cup until it overflows.
Your kindness and love will always be with me each day of my life,
and I will live forever in your house, LORD.

Please keep me in your prayers this weekend ... You could easily use this 23rd Psalm ...  I'll be at the Louisiana Correctional Institute for women joining a team as we engage in a spiritual renewal weekend called Kairos Prison Ministry.  We "listen, listen, love, love" as we seek the Christ in the face of each woman.  Peace, C

No comments:

Post a Comment