Monday, August 11, 2014

Genesis Roots: Joseph Forgives his Brothers and Invites the Whole Family to Live Near Him in Egypt!

We finish up my summer lectionary series called "Genesis Roots."  The word genesis means origin, beginning, or birth.  Root, in the context in which I'm writing, means essential core or source of life. In a way, the roots of the story of monotheistic faith rest in the stories we find in Genesis. 
 
This is the last week of Genesis Roots.  We close with an amazing story of forgiveness that mirrors God's mercy and grace.  Last week we read about how Jacob’s favored son, Joseph, was sold into slavery by his brothers.  His brothers then took Joseph’s bloody coat back to Jacob as evidence of his “death.”  Jacob grieved desperately.  Joseph walks with God and his strongest connection is through dreams. Through his dreams Joseph makes connections in Egypt and over the years he rises to power in Egypt.  During a time of famine in their land, Jacob sends his sons to Egypt to seek food.  We drop in on the reunion between Joseph and his brothers where we hear Joseph's sense of "providence" soften his heart ... all in God's plan.  

I invite you to spend a few moments preparing your heart to worship God as you engage with the text via Lectio DivinaThis week's reading is a little long for traditional lectio divina (10 verses is best) so we'll change it up a little as the passage unfolds.  But first, settle into a place of loving wonder within yourself with a simple  breath prayer.  Use this one or create your own.

Breathing in (who do you worship) ... God of Grace and Mercy
Breathing out (what do you desire)... Give me a Forgiving Heart

God of Joseph, as I read and pray with the holy text, illuminate my soul with kindness.  Give me a word to transform my life and fill me with joy.  In Christ, Amen.  

Step 1: Lectio … Reading
Read Genesis 45:1-15 slowly, 
and allow this tender story of forgiveness to unfold. 
Take it in and let your emotions guide you through. 
How do you feel about what you are reading?
Read the passage a 2nd time, 
when you come upon a word or phrase 
that catches your attention, 
stop and focus on it. 
Sit with your word or phrase 
and let it marinate in your mind. 

Genesis 45:1-15 (NET)
Click here to read Original Lectio Version: The Voice Bible


Joseph was no longer able to control himself before all his attendants, so he cried out, “Make everyone go out from my presence!” No one remained with Joseph when he made himself known to his brothers. He wept loudly; the Egyptians heard it and Pharaoh’s household heard about it.
 
Joseph said to his brothers, “I am Joseph! Is my father still alive?” His brothers could not answer him because they were dumbfounded before him. Joseph said to his brothers, “Come closer to me,” so they came near. Then he said, “I am Joseph your brother, whom you sold into Egypt.  Now, do not be upset and do not be angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me ahead of you to preserve life! For these past two years there has been famine in the land and for five more years there will be neither plowing nor harvesting.  God sent me ahead of you to preserve you on the earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.  So now, it is not you who sent me here, but God. He has made me an adviser to Pharaoh, lord over all his household, and ruler over all the land of Egypt.  Now go up to my father quickly and tell him, ‘This is what your son Joseph says: “God has made me lord of all Egypt. Come down to me; do not delay!  You will live in the land of Goshen, and you will be near me—you, your children, your grandchildren, your flocks, your herds, and everything you have.  I will provide you with food there because there will be five more years of famine. Otherwise you would become poor—you, your household, and everyone who belongs to you.”’  You and my brother Benjamin can certainly see with your own eyes that I really am the one who speaks to you.  So tell my father about all my honor in Egypt and about everything you have seen. But bring my father down here quickly!”

 Then he threw himself on the neck of his brother Benjamin and wept, and Benjamin wept on his neck.  He kissed all his brothers and wept over them. After this his brothers talked with him.

Step 2: Meditatio … Receiving
Continue to focus on your word or phrase or image.
Pay attention to the thoughts and feelings it has evoked.
What memories come to your mind?
Ask God to continue to speak to you.
Listen and watch for God’s Grace as you move through your day

Step 3: Oratio … Responding
Consider any desires that have been awakened by your prayer
Perhaps you have found an area of your life that needs attention
Perhaps a name has emerged, someone you need to forgive
Do not rush ... wait and listen as God forms your prayers and desires

Step 4: Contempatio … Resting
Allow your word, phrase or image to fall away ...
Allow yourself to rest in the silence ...    
  
If images are a pathway to God for you, you may want to pray while "gazing" upon this image."  Where does your gazing take you?
Joseph Forgives His Brothers, an illustration from a Bible card published by the Providence Lithograph Company, 1907, image in public domain via wikimedia commons
What better song for a story of deep forgiveness such that Joseph had for his brothers than Amazing Grace. And what better way to end our study on "Genesis Roots."  

In this passage, Joseph mirrors for me the way of Christ … so if music is a pathway to God for you, take this link to a performance of Amazing Grace by Celtic Woman. Enjoy!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment