Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Genesis Roots: Jacob, the Trickster is tricked and marries 2 sisters, Rachel and Leah

This week we continue my summer lectionary series called "Genesis Roots."  The word genesis means origin, beginning, or birth.  Root, in the context in which I'm writing, means essential core or source of life. In a way, the roots of the story of monotheistic faith rest in the stories we find in Genesis. 

Jacob arrives in Haran searching for his mother's family.  He meets Rachel, daughter of Rebekah's brother Laban, at a well watering flocks of their sheep for she was a shepherdess.  When he tells her who he is, she shouts for joy and runs to tell her father.  Jacob is heartily welcomed and stays with the family for awhile.   When Jacob the trickster tells Laban his uncle "everything" that had happened, Laban exclaimed, "You are surely my flesh and bone!"  Jacob should have seen what was coming.

As the story unfolds, God is nowhere to be seen.  Even though God has told Jacob that he is not alone, that God is with him, it is as if God sits back with the rest of us and watches poetic justice in motion.  I've read this story many times, but I don't like it very much.  I confess that as a feminist Christian woman, my reaction to this story is disappointment and anger at the treatment of women that I find personally offensive, a story which includes blatant polygamy and the use of women as payment for wages earned.   I lament over this passage.  I lament that we live in a world in which polygamy still exists, while it is illegal even in this country.  I lament that we live in a world in which women and children are used as objects for human gratification.  I lament that we live in a world where human trafficking is growing exponentially.  And I lament that Scripture is still used today as a justification for treating women as inferior human beings.  Lamentation is good.  Lamentation can be the beginning of healing and wisdom if we allow God to enter into that place of pain with us … God is not "nowhere," God is everywhere!

I invite you to spend a few moments preparing your heart to worship God as you engage with the text via Lectio Divina.   Breathe deeply and envision God’s Spirit filling you with the ability to find God even if God appears to be nowhere!  Settle into a place of confidence within yourself with a simple  breath prayer.  Use this one or create your own.

Breathing in (who do you worship?)   ... God of Everywhere
Breathing out (what do you need?)     ... Help me know you more

and when you are ready to move deeper into the text, pray ... God, I know you are everywhere even when it seems you are nowhere.   Increase my awareness of you and my sensitivity to your presence.   Help me to know that you are always with me.  Open up your Word and teach me so that I can see you in all circumstances.  In Christ, Amen. 

Step 1: Lectio … Reading
Read  Genesis 29:15-28 (NET) slowly, to see how the thread of trickery continues
Take in the story that is unfolding as you read.
Listen for a word or phrase that catches your attention.
Silently focus on that word or phrase or perhaps an image that is forming.
Sit with your word or phrase or image for as long as seems good to you.
Allow it to sift through your heart and mind.
Let the story come alive in your soul through that word, phrase, image.

Click here to read in original Lectio Version: The VOICE Bible
Then Laban said to Jacob, “Should you work for me for nothing because you are my relative? Tell me what your wages should be.” (Now Laban had two daughters; the older one was named Leah, and the younger one Rachel. Leah’s eyes were tender, but Rachel had a lovely figure and beautiful appearance.) Since Jacob had fallen in love with Rachel, he said, “I’ll serve you seven years in exchange for your younger daughter Rachel.” Laban replied, “I’d rather give her to you than to another man. Stay with me.”  So Jacob worked for seven years to acquire Rachel. But they seemed like only a few days to him because his love for her was so great.

Finally Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife, for my time of service is up. I want to have marital relations with her.” So Laban invited all the people of that place and prepared a feast. In the evening he brought his daughter Leah to Jacob, and Jacob had marital relations with her. (Laban gave his female servant Zilpah to his daughter Leah to be her servant.)

In the morning Jacob discovered it was Leah! SoJacob said to Laban, “What in the world have you done to me! Didn’t I work for you in exchange for Rachel? Why have you tricked me?” “It is not our custom here,” Laban replied, “to give the younger daughter in marriage before the firstborn. Complete my older daughter’s bridal week. Then we will give you the younger one too, in exchange for seven more years of work.”

Jacob did as Laban said. When Jacob completed Leah’s bridal week, Laban gave him his daughter Rachel to be his wife. 


Step 2: Meditatio … Receiving
Continue to focus on your word or phrase or image.
Pay attention to the thoughts and feelings it evokes.
What memories come to your mind?
Ask God to continue to speak to you and reveal you to yourself.
Listen and watch for God’s presence as you move through your day

Step 3: Oratio … Responding
Consider any desires that have been awakened by your prayer
Perhaps you have found an area of your life that needs attention
Do not rush ... wait and listen as God forms your prayers and desires

Step 4: Contempatio … Resting
Allow your word, phrase or image to fall away ...
Allow yourself to rest in the silence ...    

If images are a pathway to God for you, you may want to come back and pray while "gazing" upon this painting called "Jacob Meets Rachel."  Where does your gazing take you?
Jacob Meets Rachel by Erwin Speckter (1806-1835) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
To end your time of contemplating this story of Jacob and Leah and Rachel, consider this echo of lamenting as told by the "weeping" prophet, Jeremiah. (31:15/NET)
The Lord says,
“A sound is heard in Ramah,
a sound of crying in bitter grief.
It is the sound of Rachel weeping for her children
and refusing to be comforted, because her children are gone.”

No comments:

Post a Comment