Thursday, June 25, 2015

Jesus the Healer: Be Opened!

Christ healed because it was God’s will; he healed because of his compassion; he healed to fulfill prophecy; he healed to confirm his Messiahship and his power to forgive sins; he healed to give glory to God; he healed to bring people to believe in him as Lord; and he healed in response to faith … ~ Jim Glennon
Quite simply ... Jesus healed!


Welcome dear friend, to a series on the healing stories of Jesus. The root of the word healing in New Testament Greek, sozo, is the same as that of salvation and wholeness.  (UM Book of Worship)

I invite you to enter into a time of deep prayer with scripture as we explore the healing stories of Jesus.  Gather your journal if you have one, your bible and something to write with or simply use your computer, I've provided everything you need.

Before you begin your study today, consider how much you use your ability to hear and to speak.  Write your thoughts if they seem to flow.  I know that for me, silence is golden because there is so much noise in my world but what if I could never hear anything ... the birds singing, a child's voice calling me, sirens alerting me to danger, a knock on the door, raindrops gently dropping on my roof ... what sounds would you miss the most?   What if I could never tell someone that I loved them or voice my concerns over a disturbing article in the newspaper?  What if I never heard my own voice and so was too ashamed to speak, like ever?

Rest for as long as you can in the context of the deaf and mute man who was in need of healing in our story this week.   Then, center yourself with a gentle "Breath Prayer."  Use this one or allow one to emerge just for you:

Breathing in ... Healing Jesus
Breathing out ...Open my ears
Repeat your breath prayer until you feel relaxed and centered

Pray for illumination of the text, use this one or pray what emerges from within you:  As I meditate on the Word of Life, Healing Jesus, open my eyes so that I might see you healing the world today, open my ears so that I might hear your voice calling me through the text, open my heart so that I might be filled with your healing touch.  Fill me with your Spirit so that I might speak of your peace and work for justice in the world. Amen.  

Engage in Lectio Divina, which means "divine reading" in 4 movements ...


1.  Lectio/Read:   Mark 7:31-35 (NET)  As you read, perhaps there is a word or phrase that will shimmer off the page right into your heart.  Pay attention to how God is coming to you through the text. Repeat your word or phrase in your mind until it is committed to memory.  Simply sit with your word or phrase and be grateful for all five of your senses. 
Then Jesus went out again from the region of Tyre and came through Sidon to the Sea of Galilee in the region of the Decapolis. They brought to him a deaf man who had difficulty speaking, and they asked him to place his hands on him. After Jesus took him aside privately, away from the crowd, he put his fingers in the man’s ears, and after spitting, he touched his tongue. Then he looked up to heaven and said with a sigh, “Ephphatha” (that is, “Be opened”). And immediately the man’s ears were opened, his tongue loosened, and he spoke plainly. 
Jesus heals a mute possessed man, public domain, Source: Brooklyn Museum 1886-1894

2.  Meditatio/Meditation:  Read the text a second time.  Have you found yourself attracted to the same word or phrase or a different one on this reading.  Pay attention to how God is coming to you!  Can you hear the voice of God in your soul?  Or do you feel like the deaf man, unable to hear, unable to speak.  Take your word and write freely, in your journal or on your computer.  Don't think about what you are writing as you let God lead you deeper, just write!

3. Oratio/Pray 
Read the text a third time.  Then read your own writing if you have written anything thus far.  Are there any connections you can make between what you read and the writing that flowed from your reading?  Are there any connections between what you read and the life you are living?  How do you respond as you consider how God is coming to you through this text?  Take a moment to write again in your journal or on your computer as a prayer in response to what you have heard.   

4. Contemplatio/Contemplation 
Take a moment to pause.  Allow your breath prayer to emerge again as you drift into stillness.  You can use the same one from the beginning or perhaps a new one will emerge for you.  As you continue to pray, let the words fade away into silence. Spend time simply "be"ing with God. 

Allow your experience of praying with scripture to come to a close when you are ready to move on.  Let the Spirit lead you and guide you into the presence of God.  Close with a prayer to send yourself into the world, use this one or pray what emerges from within you:  Healing Jesus, O how I want to be with you as you offer healing grace to the world.  I want to hear and see and speak about you and about the way God loves us through you.  Send your Spirit to lead me into the world to speak the words that you give me to speak!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment