Friday, September 26, 2014

Lectio & Labyrinth: A Peace Walk



If we have no peace, 
it is because we have forgotten 
that we belong to each other. 
~Mother Teresa



The 23rd Psalm
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy 
shall follow me
all the days of my life:
and I will dwell 
in the house of the Lord for ever.  
(King James Version)

Still waters ... what an image!  Psalm 23, especially the version in the old poetic King James version, is well loved for its ability to comfort the afflicted, those who are living in chaos for it speaks of God's enduring presence even at times when we feel alone and lonely in our distress.  It evokes the peace of God that surpasses all understanding.  (see Philippians 4:7)

Last Sunday was the International Day of Prayer for Peace and I've been extending my prayers for peace all week.  This day is observed to encourage worldwide, spiritual observations for peace and nonviolence, by all religious and spiritually based groups and individuals, and by all men, women, and children who seek peace in the world and with all God’s creation.  Think of the word, Shalom, the Jewish word for peace.  Shalom is not simply an emotion or a feeling of calm or disconnection, shalom is manifested in relationships found in community.  Shalom is communal harmony.  

Peace, in the sense of Shalom, reminds me of the African concept of Ubuntu which means to me "I am what I am because of what we all are together."   Can you hear echoes of my entrenchment in my culture's deep sense of independence and individualism?  I need Ubuntu to curb that overwhelming sense that "it's all about me."  Archbishop Desmond Tutu says this about Ubuntu: 
"We say a person is a person through other persons. We don't come fully formed into the world. We learn how to think, how to walk, how to speak, how to behave, indeed how to be human from other human beings. We need other human beings in order to be human. We are made for togetherness, we are made for family, for fellowship, to exist in a tender network of interdependence."  (quote found in Ubuntu: I in You and You in Me by Michael Battle, page 54)
With a sense of Peace, Shalom, and Ubuntu enveloping your mind, I invite you to sink into your heart, settle into a place of loving openness within yourself and use a simple Breath Prayer to center yourself on God's enduring presence.  Try this one or allow one to emerge as you breathe in and breathe out.   (I have found that six to eight syllables is best for breathing but a longer prayer often speaks what we need to hear for ourselves … simply be authentic with your breath prayer)

Breathing in ... God of Shalom (a name for or image of God)
Breathing out ... Make me a Peace-Bringer (a desire of your heart)

Pray: God of Shalom, your peace permeates the world when we are aware of you.  Grant us grace as we travel the path of life that unfolds before us.   Help us walk in peace as Jesus walked through his life here on earth.  Amen.

Engage in Lectio Divina, which means "sacred reading."  Allow yourself to be drawn deeply into God’s Presence as you read slowly and pray intently and listen carefully to these 7 verses which teach us about peace.  Read each verse and pause in silence between each one.  Which verse is drawing your attention?  Which verse can your heart sing with the one who originally spoke the words?

1.     
Isaiah 55:12        Indeed you will go out with joy; you will be led along in peace; the mountains and hills will give a joyful shout before you, and all the trees in the field will clap their hands.. (NET)

2.      Psalm 85:10        Loyal love and faithfulness meet; deliverance and peace greet each other with a kiss.  (NET)

3.      Matthew 5:9        Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God. (NET)

4.      John 14:27           Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage.  (NET)

5.      John 16:33           I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In the world you have trouble and suffering, but take courage—I have conquered the world. (NET)
     
6.     Romans 14:17-19   For the kingdom of God does not consist of food and drink, but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. For the one who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by people.  So then, let us pursue what makes for peace and for building up one another.  (NET)   
  
7.     Philippians 4:6-7   Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. (NET)

 
Read all 7 verses again slowly with the same silent pauses.    Consider where God is calling your attention.   Choose just one verse with which to reflect.  Spend time with your verse and listen to the whispers of God through the words that have drawn you into the text ... Listen!

Take your verse, or a modified version of it that speaks of your life, with you as you walk on a Labyrinth or spend some time outside in nature.   Or find a place to simply sit quietly.  Let the Spirit of God guide you as you take time in the silence to “Reflect.” 

As you walk (or if you choose to simply sit in the quiet) turn your verse over in your mind.  Is there a word that is calling you from within the text or are you staying with a complete thought that arises from the verse? Let God speak into your heart as you listen.  As you walk, take time to "Release" anything that emerges that you need to let go of in order to move on in your prayers.

As you pause at the center of the Labyrinth or in the far places of your walk, take time to "Receive" and welcome God's word for you. Consider these questions or others that may arise in your time of pause:  Where is God speaking to me through my word or my verse?  How is my life touched by my word or my verse?

Before you begin your journey anew from the center, slowly read your verse again! Consider how you are being called to "Respond" to what you have heard from God about the peace that is growing larger within you.  As you walk or move out of the center along the same labyrinth path you took in, know that you are gaining strength for your continuing journey of life.  Who is God calling me to pray for or to reach out to through this verse as I manifest my growing sense of peace?  How is God calling me to change or grow deeper in my faith?

As you reach the end of the Labyrinth pathway, it is time to “Rest” in the silence of God's Presence.  Allow God to draw you deeper into the shining light of the Holy Presence and into the prayerful sense of God’s Spirit, ever holding you and loving you.  Let all the words fade away and stay in this lovely place as long as you can.  

Simply BE with the God who always hears your prayers.  


Before you move on ... pray the Prayer of St Francis to end your time of prayerful walking:

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.  Amen.


And listen to Make Me A Channel Of Your Peace sung by Susan Boyle set to amazing photos of nature on youtube.  Enjoy!  Amen!  Amen!  Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment